Saturday, February 6, 2016

Burroughs B-7971 Nixie Tubes...

A long time ago I acquired some of these giant Nixie tubes from some old equipment. I had intended on doing "something" with them, but never got around to it as the sockets for the tubes were as expensive as the tubes, and I didn't really have enough to do a whole lot with. I didn't want to use them in a clock, but that seems to be the best use for them.

These are fully segmented alphanumeric tubes, and are about the size of a 12oz can of soda!


I honestly can't remember what they came out of, other than it was some big industrial controller. They were working when pulled, and I don't have any reason to think they are not operational right now. Considering these things date to 1964 and 1967, that's pretty impressive.

They're really dirty, but I hate to clean them as it may destroy the printing.

They're all the same model, but they are all marked a bit different. 5 of the tubes are marked with the Burroughs "B" but are labeled "Ultrasonic Systems Corp." - I can't find any reference to Burroughs and this other company, so I have to assume they are a OEM marked part for this other company.


These guys were all dated to around 1967.

The other 3 were simply labeled as Burroughs, and dated around 1964.


The best thing to do with these is sell them off. If you're interested, please let me know and I'll direct you to the craigslist ad that they are posted under. I prefer local pickup, but will ship (postage, insurance extra) to most places.

Now, all together for a family portait (I see you hiding in the back!)


Hopefully these guys will find a home. 

B7971 and B-7971

Edit: As of 2/29/2016, these tubes are SOLD. Thank you.