Monday, July 25, 2016

An LCD screen for my energy monitor project? (Part II)

One of the things that I thought would be nice with my energy monitor project would be to have the unit display some basic information without logging into the device. There are a number of options, but the cheapest (and probably easiest) to work with is the Nokia 5110 display. These can be purchased from many sources, but the ones I have came from Adafruit. Adafruit also provides some ready to go libraries written in python for your coding pleasure, so it's almost trivial to get the thing up and running.

I was using a Pi B (original model) and my old CSC breadboard. That unit has served me well, and CSC replaced the terminal strips on it once for me for free. It's interesting to think how many technologies this thing has seen over the years.



It took about 30 minutes to wire the Pi and install the libraries, and get coffee. Mostly coffee...

After a quick glance at what the libraries do, I ran the demo program included with the library.


Yes, you sure can haz LCD, mister cat!

Next step is testing the power supplies for the system.